Dr.Vidya JayasankarTel: 044-28341551; Cell: +91 9790794651
- Crustacean reproduction
- Lobster nutrition
- Bivalve tissue culture
After completing my PhD in crustacean reproductive physiology in 1996, I worked for nine years in the Fisheries Division of the Japan International Research Centre for Agricultural Sciences. I joined CMFRI in 2009 and am currently a Senior Scientist in the Marine Biotechnology Division of CMFRI. My research focuses on studying the reproductive physiology and endocrinology of crustaceans, especially lobsters, and applying the tools of biochemistry and molecular biology for elucidating the dynamics of yolk protein synthesis during ovarian maturation. Other research interests include development of in vitro tissue culture techniques for marine bivalves.
- PhD 1996 Zoology, University of Madras
- MPhil 1989 Endocrinology, University of Madras
- MSc 1988 Special Zoology, University of Madras
- BSc 1986 Zoology, University of Madras
|1||Genetics, genomics and biotechnological applications in mariculture and fishery resources management.||CMFRI|
|2||Aquatic Feed Biotechnology for Mariculture and Aquariculture||CMFRI|
|3||Development of tissue culture technology for in vitro production of pearls from the black-lip pearl oyster Pinctada margaritifera and refinement of in vitro pearl formation in Pinctada fucata.||CMFRI|
- Member of the Board of Studies in Zoology (PG)of the University of Madras
1. Vidya Jayasankar, Joe K. Kizhakudan, A. Margaret Muthurathinam, I. Santhosi, P. Rajendran and R. Thiagu (2012). Manipulation of fatty acids in the estuarine clam Meretrix casta (Gmelin, 1791) by supplementation with the microalgal diet, Isochrysis galbana. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59(3): 99-102.
2. Jasmani S., Jayasankar V., Shinji J. and Wilder M.N. (2010). Carbonic anhydrase and Na/K-ATPase activities during the molt cycle of low salinity reared white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei. Fisheries Science, 76:219-225.
3. Jayasankar V., Jasmani S., Nomura T., Nohara S., Huong DTT. and Wilder M.N.(2009). Low salinity rearing of the Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei: Acclimation, survival and growth of postlarvae and juveniles. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly, 43:345-350.
4. Jayasankar V., Jasmani S., Tsutsui N., Aida K. and Wilder M.N. (2006). Dynamics of vitellogenin synthesis in juvenile giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Journal of Experimental Zoology, 305A: 440-448.
5. Jayasankar V., Tsutsui N., Jasmani S., Saido-Sakanaka H., Yang W.J., Okuno A., Hien T.T., Aida K. and Wilder M.N. (2002).Dynamics of vitellogenin mRNA expression and changes in hemolymph vitellogenin levels during ovarian maturation in the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Journal of Experimental Zoology, 293:675-682.