Dr.Rekha J. NairTel: 0484-2347976; Cell:
- Fish Taxonomy
- Fishery biology of selected demersal groups.
- Stock assessment and fisheries management
With a Masters in Mariculture and PhD in Flatfish taxonomy, I joined CMFRI in 1996 and started work on the biology and taxonomy of different groups of demersal fishes. I am currently working on groupers, snappers, rays and flatfishes as well as climate change and its effect on marine fish in CMFRI. I have worked on the reef fish distribution along the Indian coasts. I also serve as the IUCN Commision Member and has therefore been involved in the revalidation process. My interests include marine fish taxonomy, fishery biology stock assessment, conservation aspects, sustainability and ecosystem management
- PhD 2012 Zoology, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala
- MSc 1993 Mariculture, Cochin University of Science and Technology
- BSc 1991 Zoology, University of Kerala
|1||Development of Fishery Management Plans for sustaining Marine Fisheries of Kerala and Lakshadweep||CMFRI|
|2||Assessment of the elasmobranch resources in the Indian seas||CMFRI|
|3||Resources Assessment & Barcoding of Elasmobranchs||MoES|
|4||National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture||ICAR|
Served as Demersal Fish Expert to the IUCN Revalidation Team for 2019 from India
· Commission Member, Species Specialist Group on Grouper and Wrasse (IUCN) for the period 2012- as on date
· Commission Member, Species Specialist Group on Snapper, Seabream & Grunt (IUCN) for the period 2017- as on date
· Won best paper in the Climate Change Session for the paper” Distributional shift of pelagics Indian oil sardine and Indian mackeral towards Northern Indian Ocean: a climate change induced scenario?” at 2nd International Conference on Ecosystem Conservation and Sustainable Development (ECOCASD), 3 to 5 October 2013, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
· Secretary, Marine Biological Association of India, Kochi
· Best Research Paper in Akhil Bharatiya Hindhithar Bashi Vishesh Sthan.
· Ben-Hasan, Abdulrahman and Sadovy de Mitcheson, Yvonne J and Cisneros-Mata, Miguel A and Jimenez, Erica Antunes and Daliri, Moslem and Cisneros-Montemayor, Andr´es M and Nair, Rekha J and Sangeetha, A T and Walters, C J and Christensen, Villy (2021) China’s fish maw demand and its implications for fisheries in source countries. Marine Policy. pp. 1-11.
· Nair, Rekha J and Munroe, T A and Weerts, S P (2020) Cynoglossus macrostomus, Malabar Tonguesole. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2020. ISSN 2307-8235 (online)
· Nair, Rekha J and Mahesh, V and Ratheesh Kumar, R and Sangeetha, A T and Vishnupriya, K M (2022) ICAR sponsored Winter School on Recent development in taxonomic techniques of marine fishes for conservation and sustainable fisheries management: Training Manual. Manual. ICAR-Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi.
· Bullock, R, Ralph, Gina M, Stump, E, Al Abdali, F. Al Asfoor, J Al Buwaiqi, B Al Kindi, A Ambuali, A Birge, T Borsa, P Di Dario, F Everett, B Fennessy, S Fonseca, C and Gorman, C and Govender, A and Ho, Hsuan-Ching and Holleman, W and Jiddawi, N and Khan, M and Larson, H and Linardich, Christi and Matiku, P and Matsuura, K and Maunde, C and Motomura, H and Munroe, T A and Nair, Rekha J and Obota, C and Polidoro, B and Russell, B and Shaheen, S and Sithole, Y and Smith-Vaniz, W F and Uiblein, F and Weerts, S P and Williams, A and Yahya, S and Carpenter, K (2021) Conservation status of marine biodiversity of the Western Indian Ocean. Other. IUCN: International Union for Conservation of Nature, Switzerland.
· Nair, Rekha J and Kuriakose, Somy (2014) Field Guide on Reef Associated Fishes of India. CMFRI Special Publication (117). Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi.
- Google Scholar http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=nuv5U_AAAAAJ
- ResearchGate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rekha_Nair6/research