Dr. U. GangaTel: 0484-2228805; Cell:
- Pelagic fisheries
- Deep –sea fisheries resource assessment
- Marine fish stock assessment and fisheries management
Qualified as ICAR Junior Research Fellow and acquired master’s degree in Mariculture (1992). Selected for Agricultural Research Service (Fishery Science) in 1996 and working in the Pelagic Fisheries Division, CMFRI since then. Focus of research is on the fishery and biology of major pelagic species of commercial importance such as oil sardine, mackerel, anchovies, cobia, tunas and billfishes and the deep-sea fishes. Participated in on-board fisheries exploratory surveys. Interests include marine fish population dynamics and stock assessment ; exploratory surveys and studies on fish biodiversity.
- PhD 2011, Cochin University of Science & Technology
- MSc 1992 (Mariculture), Cochin University of Science & Technology
- BSc 1990 Zoology, University of Calicut
|1||Development of Fishery Management Plans (FMPs) for sustaining marine fisheries of Kerala and Lakshadweep.||CMFRI|
|2||Development of strategies to sustain the stock and fishery of large pelagics in Indian waters||CMFRI|
|3||National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (Marine Fisheries component)||ICAR|
|4||Assessment of deep-sea fishery resources of the continental slope of Indian EEZ||CMLRE/Ministry of Earth Sciences|
1.Ganga, U., Radhakrishnan, C K and Anandan, R (2010) Fatty acid signatures of the Indian mackerel Rastrelliger kanagurta (Cuvier) from the Arabian Sea along the Indian coast. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India, 52 (1). pp. 8-13.
2. Ganga, U., Pillai, N G K., Akhilesh, K V., Rajool Shanis, C P., Beni, N., Manjebrayakath, Hashim and Prakasan, D (2012) Population dynamics of cobia Rachycentron canadum (Linnaeus, 1766) off Cochin coast, south-eastern Arabian Sea. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59 (3). pp. 19-24.
3.Ganga, U., Rajool Shanis, C P., Manjebrayakath, Hashim and Akhilesh, K V (2012) Account on the deep sea shrimp Aristaeopsis edwardsiana (Johnson, 1867) from the Indian EEZ. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59 (1). pp. 29-31.
4 Akhilesh, K V ., Ganga, U., Pillai, N G K., Vivekanandan, E., Bineesh, K K., Rajool Shanis, C P and Manjebrayakath, Hashim (2011) Deep sea fishing for chondrichthyan resources and sustainability concerns-a case study from Southwest coast of India. Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, 40 (3). pp. 347-355.
5.Pillai, N G K., Menon, N G., Pillai, P P and Ganga, U, eds. (2002) Management of Scombroid Fisheries. Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi.
- ResearchGate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ganga_U/publications