Dr.M. SakthivelTel: 04573-241020; Cell:
- Finfish Breeding & Genetics
- Finfish mariculture
- Cetaceans (Marine mammals – Whales, Dolphins & Porpoises)
After taking graduation in Veterinary Science (2003) and post graduation in Animal Genetics and Breeding (2005), I am working in CMFRI since 2009 on finfish mariculture. I am currently working as scientist in the division of mariculture at Mandapam Regional Centre of CMFRI. I have been working on finfish breeding and seed production particularly cobia, silver pompano, red snapper and marine ornamental fishes. For the first time in the country, two species of high value marine finfish viz., Cobia and Silver Pompano have been successfully bred under captive conditions. Genetic broodstock management and production of high quality marine finfish seed are the major research areas. I have also acquired expertise in Cetacean biology and species identification. I have interests in conservation of marine mammals.
- PhD (pursuing) Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
- MVSc 2005 Animal Genetics & Breeding, NDRI (Deemed University), Karnal
- BVSc 2003 Veterinary Science, TANUVAS, Chennai
|1||Development and standardization of seed production technologies for selected high value finfishes and shellfishes||CMFRI|
|2||Innovations in sea cage farming and coastal mariculture||CMFRI|
|3||Derivation and characterization of embryonic (ES) and induced pluripotent (iPS) stem cell from selected marine fish species aimed at mariculture/conservation||CMFRI|
|4||Seed Production in Agricultural Crops and Fisheries||ICAR|
|5||National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA) – Marine Fisheries||ICAR|
|6||Development of Protocols and Capacity Building of authorities and local people of Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra on stranded and beached Cetaceans||GOI-UNDP-GEF|
- 2010 – Letter of appreciation by The Director General, ICAR for achieving the successful breeding and spawning of cobia and pompano for the first time in the country
- 2005 – Merit Certificate by National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal for the best academic performance in Animal Production sector during post graduation
1. Sakthivel, M., A. K . Abdul Nazar, G. Tamilmani, C. Kalidas, N. Ramamoorthy, V. Ashok Maharshi, K. Srinivasa Rao and G. Gopakumar (2012). Embryonic development of cobia, Rachycentron canadum (Linnaeus,1766) in controlled conditions. Journal of Marine Biological Association India, 54 (2) 5-8.
2. Rameshkumar, P., C. Kalidas, G. Tamilmani, M. Sakthivel, A.K.A. Nazar, V.A. Maharshi, S.K.S. Rao and G. Gopakumar. (2014). Microbiological and histopathological investigations of Vibrio alginolyticus infection in cobia, Rachycentron canadum (Linnaeus, 1766) cultured in sea cage. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 61(1): 124-127.
3. Nazar, A. K. A., Jayakumar, R., Tamilmani, G., Sakthivel, M., Kali das, C., Ramesh Kumar, P., Anbarasu, M., Sirajudeen, S., Balamurugan, V., Jayasingh, M. and Gopakumar, G. (2012). Larviculture and seed production of the silver pompano, Trachinotus blochii (Lacepede, 1801) for the first time in India. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59 (3) 83-87.
4. Kalidas, C., Sakthivel, M., Tamilmani, G., Ramesh Kumar, P., Nazar, A. K. A., Jayakumar, R., Balamurugan, V., Ramkumar, B., Jothi, Prem, R. and Gopakumar, G. (2012). Survival and growth of juvenile silver pompano Trachinotus blochii (Lacepède, 1801) at different salinities in tropical conditions. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59 (3) 95-98.
5. Gopakumar, G., A.K. Abdul Nazar., G. Tamilmani, M. Sakthivel, C. Kalidas, N. Ramamoorthy, S. Palanichamy, V. Ashok Maharshi, K. SrinivasaRao and G. SydaRao. 2011. Broodstock development and controlled breeding of cobia Rachycentroncanadum (Linnaeus 1766) from Indian seas. Indian Journal of Fisheries., 58 (4): 27-32.