Dr.P.U. ZachariaTel: +91 484 2394061; Cell:
- Demersal fisheries stock assessment
- Elasmobranch resources and barcoding
- Trophic modelling and fisheries management
- Climate change and marine fisheries
Took masters in marine biology from Cochin University, and Ph. D in Biosciences from Mangalore University. Served in Mangalore and Tuticorin Research Centers in various capacities before moving to Cochin to take over the present position as Head of Demersal Fisheries Division. Major contribution varies from stock assessment of demersal fishes, biodiversity of marine and estuarine fauna, impact of bottom trawling on marine benthos and trophic modeling of different Indian marine ecosystems. Presently serve as the Principal investigator of the Council sponsored “National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA)” project in CMFRI.
- PhD - 2004 from Mangalore University
- MSc - 1982 Marine Biology from Cochin University
- BSc - 1980 Zoology from University of Kerala
|1||Development of Fishery Management Plans (FMPs) for marine fisheries of Kerala and Lakshadweep||CMFRI|
|2||Assessment of the elasmobranch resources in the Indian seas||MoES|
|3||Resources Assessment & Barcoding of Elasmobranchs.||MoES|
|4||National Initiative in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA)-Fisheries||ICAR|
|5||Flow of Matter through tropic levels and biogeochemical cycles in Marine and Estuarine ecosystems||MoES|
|6||“Global learning for local solutions: reducing vulnerability of marine coastal communities (GULLS)” under the theme on coastal vulnerability||Belmont forum and G8 Research Councils International Opportunities fund.|
- Editor, Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India, Kochi
- Vigilance Officer of CMFRI, Kochi
- Member, National Task Force (NTF) of BOBLME-India project
- Member, Cochin Fisheries Harbor advisory Committee
- Two best paper awards and two best poster awards in IFF-2011 and in International symposia-ECOASD and greening fisheries
- Zacharia, P.U, K.S. Mohamed, C. Purandhara, H.S. Mahadevaswamy, Alli. C. Gupta, D. Nagaraja and Uma S. Bhat. 1996. A bioeconomic evaluation of the dual-fleet trawl fishery of Mangalore and Malpe. Mar. Fish. Infor. Serv. T & E Ser., 144: 1-12.
- Zacharia P.U and N. Jayabalan, 2007. Maturation and spawning in the whitefish, Lactarius lactarius (Bloch and Schneider, 1801) (Fam: Lactariidae) along the Karnataka coast, India. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. India, 49(2): 166-176.
- Mohamed K.S and P.U. Zacharia, 2009. Prediction and modelling of marine fishery yields from the Arabian Sea off Karnataka using Ecosim. Indian J. Mar. Sci., 38(1): 69-76.
- Zacharia P.U, P.K. Krishnakumar, A.P. Dineshbabu, K. Vijayakumaran, Pratibha Rohit, Sujita Thomas, Geetha Sasikumar, P. Kaladharan, R.N. Durgekar and K.S. Mohamed. 2008. Species assemblage in the coral reef ecosystem of Netrani Island off Karnataka along the southwest coast of India, J.Mar. Biol. Ass. India, 50 (1): 87-97.
- Abdurahiman, K. P, Nayak, T. H, Zacharia, P.U, and Mohamed, K. S. 2010.Trophic organisation and predator-prey interactions among commercially exploited demersal finfishes of the coastal waters of southeast Arabian Sea. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 87 (2010): 601-610.
ResearchGate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/P_U_Zacharia