Dr.Molly VargheseTel: +91 484 2394867; Cell:
- Zooplankton studies
- Rotifer taxonomy and culture
- Fish taxonomy and Biodiversity
After taking masters in Industrial fisheries in 1983, I have worked as Technologist in a seafood processing plant and afterwards joined in CMFRI in 1986. I am awarded Ph. D for the thesis in taxonomy, distribution, ecology and culture of rotifers in 2006. I am exposed to different topics in CMFRI and worked in the fields of hydrography, plankton studies, culture of microalgae and rotifers as live feeds, gorgonids, culture of soft corals and fish taxonomy. Currently, I am working in Marine Biodiversity Division in CMFRI.
- PhD 2006 Cochin University of Science & Technology
- MSc 1983 Industrial Fisheries, Cochin University
- BSc 1980 Chemistry, University of Kerala
|1||Investigations on vulnerable coral reef ecosystems of Indian waters with special emphasis on formulation of management measures for conservation.||CMFRI|
|2||Bioinventorying and biodiversity valuation of marine organisms in selected marine ecosystems along the Indian coast.||CMFRI|
|3||Assessment of fishing impacts on biodiversity loss, with special reference to the threatened species, to formulate management options for their protection.||CMFRI|
|4||Towards developing models for prediction of recruitment success in major Indian marine fish stocks||MoES|
- Recipient of gold medal at degree level for securing the highest mark at the college
- Associate editor, Journal of Marine Biological Association of India, Kochi
1. Varghese, Molly and Krishnan, L (2010) Reproductive potential of the rotifer, Brachionus rotundiformis Tschugunoff in relation to salinity, feed type and feed concentration. Indian Journal of Fisheries , 57 (1). pp. 31-37.
2. Varghese, Molly and Krishnan, L (2011) Ecology of rotifers in Cochin backwaters, Kerala, India. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 58 (3). pp. 109-115.
3. Varghese, Molly (2013) First record of Ablabys binotatus (Scorpaeniformes: Tetrarogidae) from Indian waters. Marine Biodiversity Records,, 6 . pp. 1-3.
4. Varghese, Molly and Krishnan, L and Kuttyamma, V J (2006) Systematic account on rotifers of the genus Brachionus from Cochin Backwaters. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India, 48 (2). pp. 147-155.
5. Varghese, Molly (2000) Studies on planktonic amphipods of the Indian Seas. In: Marine Fisheries Research and Management. Pillai, V N and Menon, N G,(eds.) CMFRI; Kochi, Kochi, pp. 81-98.