Dr.Asha P.S.Tel: +91 461 2320274; Cell:
- Pollution monitoring
- Climate change studies
- Conservation of critical marine habitats and sea cucumbers
After the completion of my masters in marine biology in 1994 and PhD in Holothurian reproductive aspects and hatchery rearing in 2006, I am working in CMFRI since 1996 on fisheries environment management and sea cucumber conservation. I currently hold the post of Principal scientist at Tuticorin Research Centre of CMFRI. I have worked on the impact of industrial and domestic pollution in Tuticorin coastal waters. Also conducted studies on the variations in the hydrological parameters and the zooplankton and phytoplankton constituents off Tuticorin. On the conservation aspect , I have contributed in the development of technique for breeding, larval and juvenile rearing of an endangered sea cucumber species Holothuria spinifera and also standardized several aspects of hatchery and early juvenile rearing of commercial sea cucumber H.scabra .
- PhD 2006 Manonmanium Sundernar University
- MSc 1994 Marine Biology, Cochin University
- BSc 1991 Zoology, University of Kerala
|1||Pollution and litter in the coastal and marine ecosystem and their impact.||
|2||Ecosystem process of critical marine habitats and development of protocols for restoration.||
|3||National Initiative on climate resilient agriculture (NICRA)||ICAR|
- 2007 Jawaharlal Nehru Award for best PhD thesis from ICAR
- 2011 Best t presentation award for the article in Hindi in the National Scientific Seminar on Biodiversity at CMFRI, Kochi.
- Selected as a member in the Beche-de-mer special interest group, New Caledonia.
- Represented India in the international the workshop on “ Sea Cucumber Fisheries an Ecosystem Approach to management in the Indian Ocean organized by FAO and WIOMSA at Zanzibar of Tanzania during the period 12-16 Nov’2012 .
1. Asha, P S and Diwakar, K (2013) Effect of stocking density on the hatching rate, larval and early juvenile rearing of edible sea cucumber Holothuria scabra (Jaeger, 1883). Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences , 42 (2). pp. 191-195.
2. Asha, P S and Manisseri, Mary K and Madan, M S and Diwakar, K (2011) à¤à¤¾à¤°à¤¤ à¤•à¥‡ à¤¹à¥‹à¤²à¥‹à¤¤à¥‚à¤°à¤¿à¤¯à¤¨ à¤•à¥‡ à¤†à¤§à¤¾à¤° à¤”à¤° à¤¸à¤‚à¤°à¤•à¥à¤·à¤£ à¤•à¤¾à¤°à¥à¤°à¤µà¤¾à¤ˆ.à¤œà¥ˆà¤µà¤µà¤¿à¤µà¤¿à¤§à¤¤à¤¾ – à¤µà¤¿à¤¶à¥‡à¤· à¤ªà¥à¤°à¤•à¤¾à¤¶à¤¨ , 106 . pp. 35-37.
3. Asha, P S and Selvaraj, M and Diwakar, K (2011) Environment degradation by chemical effluents along the Kayalpatinam coast of Gulf of Mannar with special reference to mercury. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India, 53 (1). pp. 75-81.
4. Asha, P S and Muthiah, P (2007) Growth of the hatchery-produced juveniles of commercial sea cucumber Holothuria (Theelothuria) spinifera Theel. Aquaculture Research, 38 . pp. 1082-1087.
5. Asha, P S and Muthiah, P (2005) Effects of temperature, salinity and pH on larval growth, survival and development of the sea cucumber Holothuria spinifera Theel. Aquaculture, 250 (3-4). pp. 823-829.
- Google Scholar - http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en& =nYAtg_IAAAAJ-
- ResearchGate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Asha_P_S/contributions?ev=prf_act