Home Crustacean Fisheries Division
Thrust areas of research
Assessment of fishery and resource characteristics of Penaeid and non Penaeid shrimps, lobsters and crabs landed along different maritime states of the Indian coast.
Stock assessment of major exploited crustacean resources for each maritime state along the Indian coast and development of fisheries management advisories for Maharashtra.
Evaluation of bycatch and discards landed by trawlers and assess the impact on fishery resources.
Recruitment dynamics of Penaeid shrimps along the Indian coast.
GIS based resources mapping of distribution and abundance of finfishes and shellfishes off Indian Coast.
Ongoing Research Projects
a. In-house Projects
|Development of fishery management plans for sustaining marine fisheries of Maharashtra. |
|GIS based resources mapping of distribution and abundance of finfishes and shellfishes off Indian Coast for suggesting operational based strategies for fisheries management. |
b. Sponsored Projects
|Integrative Taxonomy of deep sea shrimp resources along the Southern Coast of India. |
Completed Research projects (last plan period)
a. In house Projects
|Management Advisories for sustaining marine fisheries of Maharashtra. |
|Recruitment dynamics of Penaeid shrimps along the Indian coast. |
|Resource damage assessment in marine fisheries: impact of selective fishing of juveniles and bycatch and discards in trawl fisheries. |
b. Sponsored Projects
|NAIP project on ‘A value chain on oceanic tuna fisheries in Lakshadweep sea’ |
c. Consultancy Projects
|“Rapid assessment of fishery resource of Vasishti river estuarine system and possible impact of intake and discharge of water from thermal power plant on it" CLIENT: M/s National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa-403004. |
|Development of fresh water, brackish water and marine aquarium at Surat. CLIENT: Surat Municipal Corporation, Surat, Gujarat. |
|Monitoring chemical parameters of the effluent and hydro-biological conditions in the Arabian Sea off Chithrapur near the marine outfall of M/s. Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd., Mangalore.Clients: of M/s. Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd., Mangalore. |
Significant Achievements in the last 5 years
Technologies/ concepts/ findings
- Protocol culture of black tiger prawn, Penaeus Monodon (Fabricius) in open sea floating cage.
- Culture of Asian sea bass, Lates Calcarifer (Bloch,1790) in open sea floating cage off Kakinada coast in the bay of Bengal,
- Development of nursery rearing system for Asian sea bass, Lates Calcarifer (Bloch,1790) in the floating cage in sea.
- Open sea floating cage- a device for domestication and brood stock development of greasy grouper, Epinephelus tauvina (Forsskal,1775) off Visakhapatnam in the Bay of Bengal.
- Identification of Arachidonic acid from littoral Oligochaete Pontodrilus Bermudensis as Penaeid shrimp maturation stimulator.
- Protocol for culture of littoral Oligochaete Pontodrilus Bermudensis
- Publications: International-22, National-57, Special publications-4, book chapters-39, posters-2 and others-109.
- Books: 1. Handbook of Prawns, 2.Handbook of Marine Prawns of India
- MSY and FMSY for shrimps targeted by trawlers in Maharashtra were estimated as 44,647 t and 7.75 million trawling hours. The optimum number of trawlers in the state was computed at 2,778 as against present fleet of 5,613, indicating overcapacity in the trawling fleet.
- Average annual all India trawl landings for the period 2008-2011 is 17,21,000 t. which formed 51 % of the total marine fish landings in the country.